Wednesday, June 13, 2012

disappointment...

disappointments come in all shapes and sizes...


the new recipe wasn't as good as you'd hoped.  even after studying all night you still did poorly on the test.  you worked up the courage to try out but didn't make the cut.  your toddler throws a fit during family pictures.  you only lost one pound this week and didn't even cheat. sickness passed through the whole family and then you get it just as everyone else is back to normal.  after a misunderstanding at work you are left alone to deal with a major project your husband forgets a special day.  the beach vacation you've been saving for is spoiled by rain.  you accidentally throw a new sweater in the dryer...so now your dog has a new sweater. a friend is wrapped up in their own trials when you need them most.  your favorite show is cancelled.  your teenager isn't living up to their potential.  you spend $50 for a haircut that you hate.  your retirement...well so much for your retirement.

things don't go as planned.

if you had asked me 10 years ago what my life would be like today (june 13, 2012) i would have said i was going to be on broadway and running workshops in new york.

if you had asked me 5 years ago as a newlywed...i was going to be involved in full time ministry and maybe on the mission field.

if you had asked me 3 years ago as a new mom...things would be calming down now as my son entered preschool and i had some time to myself again.

if you had asked me 3 weeks ago i would have joyfully told you about how much i am enjoying my last little one and what a blessing it is that he is such an easy baby.

but things don't go as planned. i am not on broadway.  i am not involved in full time ministry.  i have no time to myself. and due to slow weight gain i am having to force feed my now fussy 4th child with a bottle that he is not willing to take or else he will face time in the hospital.

i am disappointed. but enough about us...

Jeremiah 29:11
...I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you,
not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.

Proverbs 16:1
Mortals make elaborate plans, but God has the last word.

Proverbs 19:21
We humans keep brainstorming options and plans, but God's purpose prevails.

Jeremiah 1:5
"Before I shaped you in the womb, I knew all about you. 
Before you saw the light of day, I had holy plans for you: 
A prophet to the nations— that's what I had in mind for you."

Luke 14:33
"Simply put, i
f you're not willing to take what is dearest to you,
whether plans or people,
and kiss it good-bye, you can't be my disciple."

...sigh...

alright God.  i get it.  You're absolutely right.  i would much rather the Creator of the universe who sees all things and knows all things...plan my life...than imperfect me.  ...sigh...

...i just wish it wasn't so disappointing sometimes...

may you walk with God and follow His plan...even when you are disappointed.


4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for how disappointing this is...trusting God with you...sorry when I am not available...it always works out better than we imagined...

    ReplyDelete
  2. very insightful post; what is it that they say "man plans, God laughs". But his plans are always so much better. It is interesting about Jeremiah 29:11; people claim it as a life verse, and its a great one, but it is written when the Israelites are going into exile into Babylon and upon their release 70 years later is what he says when they come back to him. I'm sure there was a lot of disappointment there with them......

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes disappointment can hurt. Thank God He sees the bigger picture. Blessings to you dear one.

    ReplyDelete

i really appreciate comments...so comment away...