Thursday, July 26, 2012

lost coffee

this morning i am writing this as i enjoy a nice hot cup of coffee...but that's usually not the case.

most mornings go more like this:

i pour some delicious hot coffee into my favorite beatrix potter cup.  just as i sit down to enjoy it the phone rings in the bedroom...and the day starts.  after setting up play dates, talking to my mother and getting updates on my husband's workday all the while dealing with interruptions from the kids i find my now cold coffee on my nightstand.  sigh.  into the microwave it goes.  then i hear a scream from the girls' bedroom and put on my referee whistle.  after dealing with sibling squabbles i remember my coffee in the microwave...i guess another 30 seconds won't hurt.  so i sit down to enjoy it...even if it isn't quite as fresh as i would like.  that is usually when the baby wakes up from his nap and decides that he needs a bottle and he needs it RIGHT NOW...so i make a bottle and feed and change the poor starving child and put him down to play.  i start putting clothes away...hopefully making a dent in laundry mountain and what do i find on my boys' dresser?  yep...my cold coffee.  sigh.  by this time it it is not even worth reheating...sigh...  depending on how i am feeling i either down it quick for the caffeine boost or i dump it in the sink (...a moment of silence for all coffee lovers...)

sometimes i don't find my coffee until days later and sometimes i find it in strange places such as on the back of the back bathroom toilet, on top of the dryer, or in my desk drawer (don't even ask).

you know how they make beer helmets?  where the beer cans are attached to the sides of the helmet and straws go from the cans to the mouth of the wearer?  well...this mommy needs a coffee helmet.  that would be awesome. any engineers that read this...feel free to steal the idea...i just want the first prototype. 

in that same way...Jesus is always with me.  He never gets lost.

He is right by my side giving me words to say during phone conversations and grace to deal with my kids' interruptions.  He is still here with more wisdom than soloman showing me how to handle my children's bickering.  and He infuses my soul with peace and joy as i take care of the baby and reminds me that i am also completely helpless without Him.  then He sits with me and puts a song in my heart as i fold my laundry.  He accompanies me to every corner of my home.  i am never alone.

Psalm 139

 God, investigate my life; get all the facts firsthand.
I'm an open book to you;
even from a distance, you know what I'm thinking.
You know when I leave and when I get back;
I'm never out of your sight.
You know everything I'm going to say
before I start the first sentence.
I look behind me and you're there,
then up ahead and you're there, too—
your reassuring presence, coming and going.
This is too much, too wonderful—
I can't take it all in!




1 comment:

  1. I'm amazed you can make it through days without coffee with your busy household; I'd have to figure out a way to infuse it into me; I remember being sleep deprived as a mom with young ones :)

    very true that Jesus is always with us; that is refreshing indeed!

    betty

    ReplyDelete

i really appreciate comments...so comment away...