Wednesday, July 25, 2012

good grief.

grief doesn't have an expiration date.


my grandfather passed away in january.  i'm not one to get super emotional...but i cried.  and every time a man walks by wearing old spice i get a little nostalgic.

a cousin that i hadn't seen in years ended his life a few years ago.  i am still so angry with him.  we had just gotten in touch again.  and now he's gone.  because he wasn't a part of my life for so long i will go days at a time without thinking of him...and then every once in awhile i am reminded and i am broken hearted all over again.

my husband's father died over 20 years ago...he doesn't go a day without missing his dad...and because i love my husband...i sometimes grieve over the father-in-law that i never got to meet.

we grieve over other losses too.  when friendships end...when things change...even when things change for the better...sometimes we find ourselves longing for what was comfortable.  for instance...we just got new living room furniture.  it is really beautiful.  but i found myself a little sad that we were going to be losing the 15 year old hand-me-down couch that i had spent so much time on thru my rough pregnancies.  ...i know...i'm pathetic.

grief is healthy...natural...it is good to allow ourselves to feel these waves of emotion as they ebb and flow. but it isn't something i would put in the 'fun' category.

in the book of isaiah (25th chapter) it says '...he'll banish death forever. And God will wipe the tears from every face.'  that's refreshing...and encouraging. 

no matter how much we have lost...and how bitterly we have wept in mourning...He will get out His all-absorbant...never soggy hanky and wipe the tears.  and we will never have anything to grieve over...ever again.

2 comments:

  1. amen!! I like Revelation 21:4 He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

    I like that he stores all our tears too.

    Grief is just one of those things we'll have to go through this side of eternity (unless we die young).

    may today be a pleasant day though!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to this...recently having very emotional moments remembering trip I took with my dad and my grandma. It is funny what triggers those things...God is still so good to help us through. Love how honest you are...

    ReplyDelete

i really appreciate comments...so comment away...